“This guide to writing a business plan will outline the most important parts and what should be included in an effective plan.”
A business plan is a written description of your business’s future, a document that tells what you plan to do and how you plan to do it. If you jot down a paragraph on the back of an envelope describing your business strategy, you’ve written a plan or at least the germ of a plan.
Business plans are inherently strategic. You start here, today, with certain resources and abilities. You want to get to a there, a point in the future (usually three to five years out) at which time your business will have a different set of resources and abilities as well as greater profitability and increased assets. Your plan shows how you will get from here to there.
Before writing your plan
• How Long Should Your Plan Be?
• When Should You Write It?
• Who Needs A Business Plan?
• Why Should You Write A Business Plan?
• Determine Your Goals and Objectives
• Outline Your Financing Needs
• Plan What You’ll Do With Your Plan
• Don’t Forget About Marketing
Writing your business plan
• How To Write A Business Plan
• How to Start A Business
• The Ingredients of a Marketing Plan
• Updating Your Business Plan
• Enhancing Your Business Plan
Business Plan Tools
• Business Plan Software
• Books and How-to Manuals
• Business Plan Templates
• Sample Business Plans