Central Women’s University (CWU) is the only Women’s University in Dhaka which began its journey in 1993 immediately after the passing of the Private University Act of 1992. The university was established with a group of enlightened and enthusiastic personalities led by Professor Beggzadi Mahmuda Nasir (founder Vice Chancellor of the university). Their intention was to create an opportunity for women to pursue higher education and equip themselves with necessary knowledge and skills for gainful employment in this age of globalization. After being accorded permission by the Government under the Private University Act of 1992, the university was launched in Central Women’s College campus at 3 Abhoy Das Lane, Dhaka.
At present the university offers Undergraduate and Graduate Program in 13 subjects under the School of Business and Economics, School of Science and Engineering and School of Humanities and Social Science.
After that, in August, 2010, the University has received legal permission from the court to continue its educational activities under a new governing body and with new academic faculty and expanded academic offerings.
CWU Academic programs:
Degrees currently offered are:
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Executive Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Social Science in Geography and Environmental Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Media Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
- Bachelor of Social Science in Political Science and Governance Studies
- Bachelor of Social Science in Sociology and Gender Studies
CWU Admission Requirements
To get admission in undergraduate programs of CWU, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
Minimum GPA of 2.50 in both SSC and HSC Examinations.
University of London and Cambridge GCE ‘O’ Level in five subjects and ‘A” Level in two subjects.
American High School Diploma
CWU Tuition And Other Fees
Four-Year Undergraduate Programs and Fees (BBA, BA, BSS & B.Sc degrees)
|Computer Science and Engineering ( CSE )||160||5,17,000/-|
|English and Modern Languages||129||3,50,500/-|
|Sociology and Gender Studies||126||2,71,000/-|
|Political Science & Governance Studies||132||2,52,000/-|
|Geography and Environmental Studies||136||2,52,000/-|
|History of the Muslim World||123||2,52,000/-|
|Journalism & Media Studies||129||2,80,000/-|
* Graduate Programs and Fees ( M.A. & M.S.S. degrees)
|Political Science & Governance Studies||36||88,000/-|
|Sociology and Gender Studies||36||88,000/-|
|Geography and Environmental Studies||36||88,000/-|
|History of the Muslim World||36||88,000/-|
* These programs are for students with a 4-year bachelor degree
**Total fees for all programs include Tk. 10,000/-(non refundable) admission fees
CWU Scholarship and Financial Assistance
Generous financial assistance is offered to needy students and to those with superior academic performance. Partial or full tuition grants and scholarship are available to those who qualify.
|GPA 5 in HSC and SSC||100%|
|GPA 5 in either HSC/SSC and GPA 4.5 in the other||75%|
|GPA 4.5 in both HSC and SSC||50%|
|GPA 4.5 in either HSC/SSC and GPA 3.5 in the other||25%|
CWU Application for Admissions
The application form, Admission Instructions, Prospectus of CWU and further information are available at the Admission Desk of CWU. Completed application must be submitted to the admission desk within the announced deadline. A complete application includes :
- Completed application form.
- Two passport-size color photographs, duly attested.
- Attested copies of all certificates and mark sheets.
- Testimonial /letter of recommendation from institution last attended.