Independent University of Bangladesh (IUB) is a government-approved private university in Bangladesh. Its permanent campus is in Bashundhara R/A, Dhaka. The university was established in 1993 by the Private University Act, 1992.
Independent University of Bangladesh (IUB) Campus
The IUB campus sprawling over 3 acres, has an amphitheater, state-of-the-art laboratories, a well-equipped library with online access to journals and books, above 50 classrooms, lecture galleries, a world-class auditorium, gymnasium, food court, playground, medical center, counseling center, students dormitory, and an alumni office.
The faculty members of IUB are actively engaged in research and publish regularly in peer-reviewed journals. Along with conventional classroom-based teaching, students are engaged in research relatively early in their studies. IUB has academic research collaborations with various universities including Harvard University, Stanford University, the University of Colorado at Boulder, Brown University, McMaster University, University of Heidelberg, University of South Alabama, Southern Illinois University, University of Vermont, University of Minnesota, Aga Khan University, Institute of Psychiatry in Pakistan, Public Health Foundation of India, Institute for Research and Development, Sri Lanka.
IUB Academic Programs
Our academic curriculum is based on a North American liberal arts model and the medium of instruction is English. We currently have six academic schools: School of Business, School of Engineering and Computer Science, School of Environmental Sciences and Management, School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, School of Life Sciences and School of Public Health. IUB is rapidly expanding its portfolio and is in the process of introducing Architecture and Biotechnology.
IUB Academic Terms & Admission
IUB has three academic terms: spring, summer and autumn with classes commencing in January, May and September respectively. Admission tests are conducted in November, April and July, two months prior to the beginning of each term.
IUB Admission Eligibility
- Combined GPA of 8.0 in S.S.C and H.S.C with minimum 3.5 in each.
- O’Level in minimum 5 subjects with a GPA 2.50 and A’Level in 2 subjects with a minimum GPA 2.00
- International Baccalaureate or U. S. High School Diploma
- Other 12 years equivalent degree (must have the equivalence certificate from Ministry of Education)
- Engineering Students must have Math and Physics in their H.S.C. with at least B grade.
- Students applying for Microbiology and Biochemistry must have Biology in their SSC or O-Level with at least B grade.
- Environmental Science students who have taken Chemistry/Physics in S.S.C. or O’Level will get preference.
- Candidates who have appeared in HSC / A’Levels in two subjects may also apply for Autumn 2016 as a ‘Provisional Admission’. They have to submit their satisfactory result before the class starts of Autumn 2016.
IUB Admission Period
There are three academic semesters namely, Autumn, Spring and Summer.
- The admission procedure for Autumn (the beginning of the academic year) starts within the first week of July and ends with the commencement of classes in the first week of September.
- The admission procedure for Spring starts within the first week of November and ends with the commencement of classes in the second week of January.
- The admission procedure for Summer takes place in the second week of March and ends with the commencement of classes in the second week of May.
Special Considerations: Exemption from Admission Test
- Minimum SAT-1 score of 1550 and
- Minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based) or 80 (internet based) or
- IELTS score of 5.5
Full Tuition waiver to student with:
- GPA 5.00 in both SSC and HSC (Excluding 4th subject)
- 7 A’s in O- level (one sitting) and 3 A’s at A-level.
- 5% scorers in the Admission test will get 100% Scholarship
- Discount on Tuition fee, based on performance in IUB and Financial need.
- 50% financial discount for concurrently admitted siblings & spouse on entry
- Campus job & other Financial Assistance
IUB Financial Aid/Scholarship
- Financial Incentive on entry 100% Tuition Fee Waiver
- 7’A’s in O-Level exams (one sitting) and 3′ A’s in A-Level
- GPA 5.00 in both SSC and HSC (excluding 4th Subject)
- Top five percent scorers in the IUB admission test will receive a full tuition fee waiver.
- The scholarship will be reviewed each semester.
- 12 credit hours are mandatory to earn or receive any kind of tuition fee waiver.
- No retake or withdrawn will be accepted.
- To retain 100% waiver students must maintain a CGPA of 3.85 otherwise the waiver will be calculated according to the IUB waiver scale.
Discount on tuition fees based on performance and financial need
50% financial discount for siblings and spouse
Campus job and other financial assistance
IUB Undergraduate Admission Office
Ground Floor, Plot 16, Block B
Aftabuddin Ahmed Road
Bashundhara R/A, Dhaka-1212, Bangladesh
Tel: +88-02-8431645-52, 8432065-75, Ext-1354,1355
Mobile: +8801780185006, Fax: +88-02-8431991
Email: [email protected], [email protected]
IUB Campus address
Independent University, Bangladesh
Plot 16 Block B, Aftabuddin Ahmed Road
Bashundhara R/A, Dhaka, Bangladesh
E-mail: [email protected]